Chickpeas (Garbanzo beans) are very high in protein. Chickpeas and Olive Oil are known to be effective in preventing cholesterol build up in the blood vessels. Garlic and lemon juice are great antioxidants that reduce oxidative stress in the body. They also work to improve immune functions and fight of bacteria and viruses. Hummus can help you maintain correct blood sugar levels. It also contains plenty of Omega 3 fatty acids, which are great for improving intelligence and maintaining a healthy heart. As if that wasn’t enough, this dish also has iron, vitamin B6, manganese, folic acid and amino acids. The amino acids found in hummus include Tryptophan, phenylalanine, and tyrosine which are known to promote good sound sleep and enhance your mood. Wow, hand over the gluten-free pita chips or carrots and dig in!
- 16 oz of fresh chickpeas (or 1 can)
- 4 oz of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of Tahini
- One garlic clove
- 1- 2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp of salt or as per your taste
Cucumber/Dill hummus: For a great variation to this basic recipe add 1/2 cup of cucumber before you puree. Also, add 1/2 tsp of dill.
Now, follow these steps carefully to prepare your dish:
- For good results, you need to soak the chickpeas in water overnight so that they get soft and easy to use and digest afterwards.
- The next morning, drain the water from the chickpeas and then convert them into a smooth mixture in a food processor. (I love my Vitamix to blend, puree etc.)
- You can also use canned chickpeas and save your cooking time as these can be blended straight away in the blender.
- Tahini and olive oil are the main source of calories in this recipe. Tahini is roasted in pure sesame seed paste on high flame, which is very high in oil and fat. To reduce the calories you can use a little less of each and add either water or low-fat yogurt.
- In some hummus recipes, people add other spices to enhance the flavor. Spices like coriander powder, cumin seeds, salt and cayenne pepper can be added for flavor.
Share your favorite healthy recipes with us in the comments below!